[AT] Well, I guess I didn't really want it to be easy

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Sep 29 09:36:38 PDT 2006

Larry:

My choice of words at midnight could have been much better.  I won't try to
get into the details of how a distributor vs a magneto work. But both use
the following principles. I will use a battery based system for simplicity.
Both the condenser capacitance and the coil inductance do work together to
create a controlled voltage spike which in turn creates the arc (spark)
through the coil secondary across the spark plug gap when the points open.
When the points are closed, the coil primary is essentially grounded with 6
or 12V at the opposite end. From a battery driven system point of view
depending on the DC resistance of the coil there may be roughly 3 to 6 amps
of steady state current flowing in it. Some added resistance between the
battery supply and the coil may be installed as standard equipment.  However
when the points open both, the coil and condenser resist change. The coil
was passing the current and now the current has no place to go, the opening
points create a high resistance and high voltage develops. The coil wants to
keep the current flowing and develops a very high voltage trying to keep it
flowing. However, the condenser resisting change is now trying to keep the
voltage at zero and starts at a low resistance until it can get charged up
to the voltage the coil is trying to produce increasing in resistance in the
process. The combination gives a controlled voltage rise on the primary
which produces a much higher voltage spike on the secondary which produces
the spark across the gap of the spark plug.

When the points open, the voltage spike across the coil is much less than
that produced by the secondary winding. However, when the points open it is
in essence trying to produce an open circuit so the voltage developed on the
primary builds up across the point gap. The point gap becomes an air gap
capacitor. Depending on the condition of the points and the ambient air
purity it may try to pass current through the point gap. Points sparking! If
the points are not opening properly, are dirty, or the gap isn't adequate,
the voltage build up in the primary will not produce the kind of voltage
spike that is adequate to drive the secondary to produce a good clean spark
at the plugs. The condenser being grounded and attached to the coil side of
the points first tries to hold the voltage spike down when the points first
open thereby reducing the current flow across the point gap as it develops.
Later when the points are more open the condenser allows the voltage to
build up to produce the voltage spike on the primary which in turn produces
a much higher voltage spike on the secondary producing a spark across the
spark plug gap. Notice the gap between the points is usually quite a bit
smaller than the gap across the plug.

So the condenser really limits the current flow across the points as the
opening resistance is increasing, thereby increasing point life and allows
the coil to continue producing the current flow until the condenser is fully
charged. A controlled voltage spike.

Now the point I was really trying to make. The coil and condenser both work
together in a dynamic non-DC voltage situation to create the spark. It's a
voltage and current change that create the spark. Not a static situation.
Now when one tests a condenser with a normal Volt Ohm Meter (in Ohm Meter
mode) the kind of voltages and currents that are developed in the magneto or
battery based distributor systems are not totally emulated. Yes, the VOM can
be used to determine whether or not the condenser is shorted out at whatever
the voltage supplied by the VOM is. And the condenser will start out at low
resistance and then become very high when the leads of the VOM are first
applied if working properly. Now the voltage of the VOM is much lower than
the voltage in actual application and also so are the currents. While the
condenser may pass the lower voltage and current testing conditions it may
not do so under real life (higher voltage/higher current) conditions. That
is the only real point I am trying to make.

Since most of us may be limited to an inexpensive VOM to use for testing, it
is a good preliminary check but all I wanted to do was expose the fact that
incorrect results may be derived. Obviously, if the condenser always reads a
very low resistance and never changes it is obviously bad. The rate at which
it charges up (capacitance value) and it's resistance at high voltage is not
really checked by the VOM. This is where one can get really mislead. If it
isn't shorted out the VOM doesn't really tell us how good it is under
application conditions. Since we often don't have a way to check these
parameters, we just simply replace the condenser with a new one to see if
that fixes the problem.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

www.deerelegacy.com