[AT] Well, I guess I didn't really want it to be easy

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Sep 29 00:03:02 PDT 2006

They can be tested this way but passing this test does not guarantee
performance in a real life tractor application. The voltage applied by the
voltmeter does not duplicate the actual voltage spike which occurs when the
points open. A basic test but one that does not really test actual
performance under real life application conditions. These test results can
be very misleading. False negative and false positive results can occur.

Most condensers (capacitors) only fail under high voltage conditions. The
real purpose of these condensers is to extend point life and if they become
open they will not cause ignition failure, only if they develop a short at
DC or under high voltage spike conditions. A typical voltmeter will not test
properly for these specific application conditions.

Many are replaced inappropriately when they are operating perfectly. Very
few condensers fail in real life applications.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

www.deerelegacy.com