[AT] Troubleshooting no start

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Thu Sep 28 09:58:38 PDT 2006

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you hook up a 12 volt battery
to just the coil. I think you would have to match the polarity to the
battery in it now. It wouldn't hurt the points to run for a short time and
would tell you if a weak spark could be the problem. Also, and this is just
a maybe, my experience has been that when a tractor won't start and the
plugs are sooted I have to change to new ones to get it started. After I
get it running good again and fix the original problem, I can usually put
in the cleaned plugs and work the tractor to get it hot and the plugs will
clean up and be fine.
Greg Hass