[AJD] Oversize piston rings

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 16:11:29 PDT 2006

I'm rebuilding the engine on a  1938 JD B, 4 1/4"
cylinder bore. The best block and pistons that I have
are .030 oversized. In checking with Deere, .030 over
piston rings are no longer available, but .045 over
rings still can be obtained. I also checked with my
local machine shop as they have been able to obtain
obselete sized rings in the past. They struck out this
time and could not get the .030 over either. The
machine shop suggested getting the .045 rings from
Deere  and then carefully file and fit the rings to
the cylinder until I have proper end gap on the rings
(checking end gap at various points in the bore).

Which brings up the question I would like to post to
list members. Is this proceedure possible or will I
run iunto some problem that I haven't forseen. The
alternative is to have a set of rings custom made,
which would be at least twice as expensive. I would
appreciate your opinions both for and against using
the filed down rings.

Thanks,

John Boehm
Woodland, CA