[AT] tractor wreck

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Sep 25 10:01:31 PDT 2006

My view is that the problem isn't the farm equipment or the construction
equipment or the power company but you city people who think you have the
God given right to drive where you want, when you want, and at whatever
ridiculous speed you want, and the hell with the rights of others. As for
rush hour, why don't you all stay at the office an extra hour and avoid the
problem? Where I live, the biggest town in the county is only 3500 people,
but the problems are the same. Pulling off the road is not an option in any
type of heavy traffic ( remember our version of heavy is different than
Detroit, two hours to our south) ; because once you pull over the good
people will not let you back on the road and you may sit there a half an
hour trying to get back on. Someone said, was trying to make a profit more
inportant than a life? Last week I was driving a tri-axle truck for my
cousin hauling sugar beets to the local piling grounds. On my way back I
came upon a double trailer commerical hauler going 30 MPH ( legal or not he
had a load that would blow and did not tarp his load). Traffic was just
heavy enough that I could not safely pass. After only 2 or 3 minutes the
car behind me took off (mind you, he did not have room to pass me much less
the double trailer semi)  and was followed by the car behind him. I watched
in horror as they ran four oncoming cars off the road. This was the middle
of the afternoon; so was their trip to Wal-mart more important than the 10+
lives they put in danger?
A few years ago we had an Amish mother and daughter killed in a town 40
miles south of us. It was proved in court and the defense agree that the 20
year old man was going between 65 and 70 MPH in a 40 MPH zone. The defense
argued that had the buggy been better lit (it had 2 red taillights and a
slow moving vehicle sign) he may have seen the buggy on time to stop. The
jury found the kid not guilty on all charges.
If I can, I do pull over to let traffic past, however, instead of slowing
down so they could stop if something unexpected popped up, they fly by at
over 60 MPH and cause all kinds of risk. Rant off.
Greg Hass