[AT] tractor wreck

Lyle Myles lyle45859 at adelphia.net
Sun Sep 24 12:28:42 PDT 2006

Yes we also had to make a living but we knew that it was best to wait thirty
minutes for rush hour traffic to thin out before endangering ourselves or
the other people on the highway. I did not say that the farmer needed to
stop work at five; my point was and still is that the farmer needs to
consider road conditions and safety before moving his equipment. To me
saving a life is better than making a profit in the field. Some of you will
not agree with this as the dollar is more important than human life. For
example here in my neck of the woods we have US 30 and it is a truck route,
tourist route for the lakes and the only main road from one town to the
next. I see farmers on there all the time during rush hour traffic and they
will not pull over for no one. It gets very upsetting going very slow for
ten miles or so following these farmers that are in such a hurry to get to
the next field.  When we farmed we tried to plan out our days so we would
have some idea what was going on next and if one thing did not pan out we
had something else to fall back on. We moved a lot of equipment with over
two thousand acres to farm and in thirty years of farming my dad, gramps,
brothers and myself never had an accident because we were taught to respect
our equipment, people in our community and our surroundings. I hope now that
this will clear up what I was trying to convey on moving equipment.