[Ford-ferguson] 8n 3 point hitch capacity

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Sep 20 08:35:12 PDT 2006

In that case, I would think that a couple hundred pounds would be more
than sufficient to make up for the 300 or so that you lost inside the
tire. After all, you are going from weight on the ground to weight on
the axle but placed a couple of feet back. I suspect, however, that,
even with the extra counterweight, you are going to find that the tire
without the liquid ballast will slip more then the one with it.

The best arrangement would be to position the counter weight so that it
is several inches off the ground when the hitch is all the way down,
taking the load off the hydraulics. Then you can raise the hitch to set
the weight on some blocks when you want to remove it. I did this
recently for my Case loader tractor: I placed the weight on a spare
three point drawbar and used a chain instead of a top link.

<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/case_430_ck/t_case_new_counterw-1.html>

I got the idea from an article by Chris Britton in the N Newsletter.

Mike