[Ford-ferguson] Problem with 601 Workmaster

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Sep 18 04:00:45 PDT 2006

The Ford 600/800 series tractors are pretty much standard technology for
the late '50, so I would not be at all surprised if your problem isn't
either the coil or the condenser, as others have mentioned. Old coils
and condensers dry out and heat causes the kind of problem you describe.
When it cools down, things return to normal. I had exactly the same
problem with my 860, and it happened while I was plowing snow in the
middle of the winter. Two carburetor rebuilds accomplished nothing, a
new coil didn't help, but replacing the relatively new condenser finally
solved the problem. (I normally would have started with the condenser,
but since it was relatively new, I didn't trust my instincts.)

Mike

Jack Massimino wrote:
> Hi all,  I have been on the list for a few months and have enjoyed
> reading everything on here so far.  I am new to having one of the types
> of tractor.  I purchased this in December of 05.  Now to my problem.
> When I got the tractor it ran great.  Then at the beginning of June I
> was out brush hogging one of my fields and it started running real rough
> and was acting like it was running out of gas.  I checked the tank and
> it seemed fine.  I got it back to the barn just barely and shut it down
> so I could go look at my manuals.  About an hour later I started it back
> up and it ran great again.  After it warmed up it again started acting
> up.  I checked the filter and it seemed clean but I replaced it anyway
> and then I took the drain out of the carb and made sure it was running
> gas out and no dirt.  It all looked good.  I called the local tractor
> place that I bought it from and they came and got it.  I was told it was
> the carb and needed to be rebuilt.  They did and brought it back.  It
> did exactly the same thing so back they came and back to the shop.  I
> was told that the guy who rebuilt it didn't do it right and the head guy
> re-did it.  No charge this time as it should be.  They even took it out
> and did some brush hogging at their place for about an hour.  It was
> running great.  I got it back and was able to hog my field and did so
> twice so far.  Now today, I went out to do some hogging and it started
> doing the same thing after it got a little warm.  I am at a loss.  I
> know almost nothing about Fords and am at a loss as to where to go from
> here.  Any help will be very greatly appreciated.
>
> Jack in Michigan

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

War is so unjust and ugly that all who wage it must try to
stifle the voice of conscience within themselves.
-Leo Tolstoy, novelist and philosopher (1828-1910)