[AT] OT - Spyware problems

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Sep 17 15:10:29 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 06:55, msm10301 at juno.com wrote:
> I'm having a big problem trying to get rid of a spyware item. Bargainbuddy
> appears to be on my system. Ad-Aware caught it and I thought it was
> deleted, but it keeps coming back. If I delete it through Ad-Aware and stay
> off the internet, I can scan again, and it will still be gone. However, the
> minute I open IE and go to any website, I get it back when I scan again. I
> tried Spybot, and it doesn't see it. Any help would be appreciated, it's
> very frustrating. Thanks,

Lots of advice from people who know more than me, but it all missed a very
important problem: IE.

NEVER, and I mean NEVER used IE to browse the web.   While Microsoft has made
it a lot better, it is still not to be trusted.  (P.S.  I assume you are
running Microsoft auto-updates.   This is a must, if not turn it on)

Firefox is free, is generally better (though of course there is always a Case
vs JD when comparing products), and lets many fewer problems of this nature
through.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Alternatively you can use Opera - it costs money, but many people swear by it,
and has the same advantages over IE that firefox has.
http://www.opera.com/

Ideally you would quit running Windows as administrator, but I know from
experience that you need a full time system administrator to do this.