[AT] Fuel stabilizer

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 17 08:17:58 PDT 2006

Roger,

I use fuel stabilizer religiously in my small equipment when I know it's not
going to be used in a while.  This goes back 20 years and in that time I
have not had a single no start after pulling stuff out from winter storage.
This is all on gas burners, both two and four stroke.

The "fungus" problem in diesel fuel is really an algae.  I don't think it
grows in the fuel itself but in whatever water has collected in the tank,
and there usually is some water in small amounts in any tank.  When the tank
is agitated the water/algae gets mixed with the fuel and the resulting slime
will plug filters solid very quickly.  There are diesel conditioners that
are supposed to deal with the algae problem.

I have no first hand knowledge of the algae as I have no diesel equipment.
I tried to find information about it in a couple of online groups but came
up blank.  I just did a Google search for "diesel,algae" and got to many
hits to link to so there is information out there.

Al Nadeau