[AT] OT - Spyware problems

Bob McNitt nysports at frontiernet.net
Wed Sep 13 18:04:26 PDT 2006

Mike -

Bargain Buddy consists of an IE Browser Helper Object, and a process set to
run at startup. The BHO monitors web pages requested and terms entered into
forms. If there is a match with a preset list of sites and keywords, an
advertisement may be shown. The process can contact its maker's server to
download updates to the list of adverts and to the software itself.

Variants are BargainBuddy/Apuc, original version whose BHO is stored in its
own Program Files 'Bargain Buddy' folder. BargainBuddy/Versn, the BHO is a
file inside the host application whilst the updater is still in 'Bargain
Buddy'. BargainBuddy/adp uses the folder name 'adp' in Program Files.
BargainBuddy/Apuc2 is the same as Apuc, but constantly tries to restart
itself if you kill it.

I had Ad-Aware for a while, but wound up removing it because it failed to
get rid of the most bothersome (read stubborn) spy and ad-share file
programs such as Bargain Buddy. Far as I know, manually deleting the hidden
file/folder is the only way to rid yourself of it. Beware of "free"
programs. Check them out first via the various geek-chat sites you can
locate thru Google.
Good luck
Bob in NY