[Farmall] Gear puller

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 12 18:28:03 PDT 2006

First off I've never seen inside the steering box on one of these so I can
only offer comparisons to similair situtaions.

Stupid question Karl but are you sure it comes off the way you are trying to
pull it? Not trying to make you out to be an idiot but if you've broken a
puller something doesn't sound right. It may be IH has too much press on the
shaft. Makes me wonder if they heated the gear before installing it. All the
set screws out? didn't know if by chance this is one of those situations
where one screw is run down on the shaft and another is jammed against that
one.

Possibly heating would break loose any rust and allow it to move after it
cools. Although it certainly won't do the puller any good, what if you put
the puller on and put pressure on it and then tried heating the gear right
around the hub? I know its a no-no but how about hitting the end of the
screw while tightning the puller (still not good for the puller).

I ran into something like this once on a combine slip clutch. We finally
removed the shaft and put it in the press. We had to put the press up on
blocks for clearance. Loud is not the sound it made when it finally moved. I
had sent everyone out of the shop but myself in case something went wrong.
Be careful, good luck, and let us know what it takes to move this thing!!

Sorry to hear about the arm.

John