[Farmall] Generator/regulator update; and now what??

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Thu Sep 7 04:13:31 PDT 2006

Time for a new or rebuilt generator, looks like.  I got it all hooked up
tonight with help from you kind folks, and still no charging.  But when I
rotate the light switch (lights themselves aren't hooked up yet), the
ammeter jumps to full discharge and the wires get warm fast.  Clearly a
short somewhere.

The other good news is that when I took the generator off, I noticed that
one of the two bolts that holds the generator mounting bracket to the engine
block was missing.  So I took the bracket off to see what size bolt I
needed, and of course the second hole is all plugged up.  I figured it was
just the greasy gunk that accumulates around engines, so I got a tap and
tried to chase it out.  Couldn't make a dent.  Poked at it with a
screwdriver, then the drill.  Darn thing is filled with metal, like it had
never been drilled out to begin with.  Can't be very good to only have one
bolt holding the generator bracket in place, but it's evidently been that
way a long time.  What in the foggy blue morning?

Here's a photo:  http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/generator_mounting.jpg

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net