[AT] Transmission oil, 90-wt? Now: drawings

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 6 15:15:31 PDT 2006

Occasionaly we see someone changing a dimension but not redoing the drawing.
Definetly a no-no as you said. We always keep a paper copy and the
electronic drawing if one was given. Depending on the customer we keep a
master paper copy that is not allowed to be written on or even removed from
the office. Any problems/ deviations are marked up on the print on the
floor. Generally these parts have the drawings fixed by the customer before
the parts are run again. If it is something we are designing, the marked up
print is sent back to engineering. CNC progarms are only accesible by 2
computers to keep curious folks from accidentally changing something. I'm
still old fashioned in that we still print out the programs. Helps in
setup---assuming the setup man can read G-code!!!!

If you think of how confusing it can be to get parts made right
nowadays---imagine what it was like back when our old-iron was built!!
Instead of taking 5 minutes to make a revision and verifying that it would
work, an engineer could spend all day and have to clear through a half dozen
other folks!!!

John