[Steam-engine] Oil Grooves/ Huber progress.

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 11:17:47 PDT 2006

Good advice Richard.  We have done quite a bit of
scraping so all is well.  Don't worry about insulting
me.  I lots to learn.  I never considered breaking one
of the caps.  Luckily caps alway had their shims when
they were installed to check for high spots.  I found
out that babbitt is a little less forgiving when there
is moisture under the cap that you a pouring.  It blew
the Dam-tite out like some had set off a firecracker
inside of it.  I only got a little burn on my face and
learned and inportant lesson about proper preheat.  I
can't figure out how you get heat into the shaft when
you are pouring the cap on a bearing with it all
assembled.  The next try we heated the shaft then
installed the cap and heated which was still warm from
melting the bad pour out.  I was trying to avoid
working with the hot pieces but can't figure out how.
Herr's hoping that I have the crankshaft positioned
correctly.

--- Richard Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:

> Congrats, Andy...pouring babbitt can be a lot of fun
> and is very forgiving.
> Now is possibly the time for some blueprint ink or
> black marker on the
> babbitt inserts and main bearing journals and see if
> total contact is made.
> Might be time to scrape.
>
>    Please add enough shims so that the bearing cap
> bottoms out on the shims
> first and not the bearing surface.  I just chatted
> with a gentleman last
> night who broke a bearing cap doing the
> opposite...and then adjust/remove
> shims for proper clearance.
>
>   Apoligize if I insulted your intelligence!!!
>
> Good Luck in the future,
> RickinMt.

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN