[AT] harvesting oats

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Sep 4 23:47:49 PDT 2006

I remember doing it that way when I was a kid, Mattias.  The binder that
came to our farm was horse powered. A team could transport it, but when
it was in operation, there was a three-horse hitch and it made three big
Belgians really sweat.  We didn't have shock poles though.  I think I
remember that each shock contained eight sheafs. One in the center, six
stacked around it, and one laid flat on top and splayed out to fend off
rain.

We had a corn binder once, but most years we built the corn shocks by
hand.  The corn shock winch we had is the only one I've ever seen.
After the corn was cut, we would stack it against a frame of four corn
stalks that were still rooted and tied together like bean poles.  When
the shock was "big enough", you stuck the winch into the shock about
shoulder high, wrapped the rope around the shock and looped the iron
ring on the loose end of the rope over the 3/4" round bar that was the
handle.  You then twisted the winch (a 6-inch diameter post about three
feet long that was pointed so you could shove it into the shock) until
you couldn't turn it any farther.  A couple wraps of binder twine around
the shock at the level of the rope was all that was needed to hold the
corn in place until you were ready to feed it to the cattle as fodder in
the middle of winter.  We had a corn chopper right next to the milk
parlor so we would bring in a shock at a time and chop it for the cows.
We lost the chopper and the winch when the barn burned in December 1950.

There's a place along I-77 in north-central Ohio where I still see corn
shocks every fall.

Larry