[AT] Off topic, Jiffy Lube.

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Sep 4 17:29:41 PDT 2006

Hi Louis,  this one surely isn't hearsay.  The quick lube place that I
always used went out of business when the owner ( a friend of mine) died.
We were going out of town and I didn't know exactly who I wanted to start
using for service.  I wound up at the local Jiffy Lube.  It was my first and
last time EVER.   The attendant told me their computer was down but if I was
paying in cash they could still do the oil change.  I should have left then
but I needed the oil changed and didn't have much time to go somewhere else.
When the guy started to open the hood it didn't unlatch right and he started
beating on the hood with his fist.  I said something to him about it, walked
out and opened the hood myself.  That move apparently was worse than yelling
at the folks in a fast food resturant.

After a few minutes they told me they were finished.  I paid them $40 cash
and let them keep the few cents change since their electronic cash
register/computer wasn't working.  Of course I got no reciept.  I drove off
and made it about 3 blocks before the engine died out.  I managed to get it
refired and limped to a mechanic friends shop.  We were headed out of town
for the weekend and had to borrow another friends car for a 1000 mile round
trip.  When I got home the mechanic ( a friend who I trust) had removed the
fuel tank, flushed it and the fuel lines out, replaced the fuel pump,
replaced 4 out of six fuel injectors and replaced the fuel filter twice.

Turned out it had water and some other foreign liquid that we believe might
have been glycol (as in antifreeze) in the fuel.   I had filled the tank a
couple of days before and had just driven the car about 80 miles before
pulling in to the Jiffy Lube.  It was running perfectly when I pulled in
there so I know the gas wasn't comtaminated prior to going in the Jiffy
Lube.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they sabatoged the car because
I said something to the guy about hitting the hood.  I also don't think they
ever changed the oil to begin with and I know they didn't do the rest of the
service which included checking the tire pressure because one of them was
low.  I bet another $40 that the money never went in the cash drawer either.

It cost a hair under $1000 to fix the car.  I never even bothered to go back
and confront them.  It would have cost me a couple of thousand more to get
out of trouble if  I had.   That happened last fall.

Charlie