was RE: [AT] Towing now planters

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Sep 4 10:27:12 PDT 2006

In some parts of the country they call them tomato planters!   There should
be some 2 row units left around but I don't go to many farm sales any more
so I don't know for sure.  There were basically 3 different types.  The
oldest cuts a small furrow in the top of the row, squirts some water in it
every few inches and then closes the furrow back up.  Four people riding on
it (2 for each row) "drop" the plant in the furrow at the same time the
water squirts in.   Then they came along with one that does the exact same
thing but the riders put the plant in a wheel full of "tongs", for lack of a
better name, that dropped the plant in the furrow for you.  That type was a
lot easier on the backs of the droppers and a bit more accurate too.  Then
the 3rd type came along when farmers started growing their plants in
greenhouses.  It was designed to hold trays of plants and the droppers took
the plants out of foam trays and put them in the mechanism.  Prior to that
plants were grown in beds in the ground and were pulled up by their roots
and the dropper had a stack of plants in his lap that he had to fiddle
through as he worked.  It seems to me that some of the later model ones were
almost totally automatic with very little for the rider to do but that was
long after I left the farm and I really don't know much about the newer
ones.

David as far as those old metal hand plantes go, I'd much rather have a
bucket full of plants, a bucket full of water, a dipper and a wooden peg.  I
hate those old metal monsters.

Charlie