was RE: [AT] Towing now planters

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Mon Sep 4 10:00:02 PDT 2006

Lew around here the old planters were called Sweet potato planters and were
equipped with an adjustable distance clicker and water valve and a 55 gallon
water barrel.  The original design was was to be pulled by a team of horses
or mules. We have one that has had the tongue shortened for tractor power.
It has a furrow opener and two press wheels to close the open furrow and
pack the soil around the seed. The only thing we have used it for, for the
last few years is planting potatoes. Two people ride on it and drop the seed
pieces.

A long while back we used to transplant tomatoes, watermelon and other
greenhouse started plants.  Now the majority of our transplanting is through
plastic so the water wheel transplanter or just hand planting is used.

On 9/4/2006 8:48:22 AM, Lew Best (bee_keeper at earthlink.net) wrote: > Hey
guys > > With the big reduction in small tobacco farming (so it seems from
these > discussions) anyone know of a small (one or 2 row?) tobacco planter
that > could be bought cheap? > I'd like to try one for setting tomato
plants. > I'm not even sure how one > works but have had it suggested as
possibly > working good. Back channel email is bee_keeper at earthlink dot
net. > > Thanks! > > Lew Best near Waco, TX > > -----Original Message----- >
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com > [mailto:at-bounces at lists
antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Charlie hill > Sent: Monday, September 04,
2006 6:07 AM > To: Antique tractor email discussion group > Subject: Re:
Spam/Phish> Re: [AT] Towing > > Yes Al I think that was one brand. Silent
Flame was best known for
H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA