[Steam-engine] Oil Grooves

Ken Hough k4sb at niia.net
Mon Sep 4 09:02:12 PDT 2006

I was thinking the Axle bearings. Not the main crankshaft bearing.
Ken

Did you "tin" the bearing halves with acid core solder first? The babbit
will grip better. Since the top half bears the weight a simple groove
parallel to the shaft and 80% its width will work. Make sure this grove is
centered. Ken

I am in the middle of pouring the main bearings on the
Huber and I have a question about the oil grooves in
the lower half.  The oil feed in only on the top half
(cap) so I will cut in X grooves on the cap.  What
kind of oil groove, if any, should be on the bottom
half of the bearing?

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN

Ken Hough Photographic Repair Service
Specializing in the Complete restoration of
           Deardorff View Cameras
                            Est 1982
     www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com
                      219 462 0281