Spam/Phish> Re: [AT] Towing

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 4 05:06:36 PDT 2006

A few quick observations to various posts on this now off-topic subject:

I'm in Durham (geography plays a big role in this becuase every 50 miles or
so technique, equipment, and terminology changed things).

I never have heard of any 4 wheeled carts/trucks. To the best of my
knowledge we went from genuine slides to 2 wheeled trailers(called slides,
sleds, dregs, drags or trailers---whatever your family preferred). Our
family made them from wood including using a 6x6 for the tongue. Axles came
from whatever--my favorite were the ones with spoked wheels from junk farm
equpment. We never had the burlap sides you could turn up. Made life real
interesting when you were in a hurry to get to the barn.

I think Al is right in that Silent Flame was a brand name----apparently they
started out making burners.

We never had burley up this way until 2-3 years ago. It is growning in
popularity and is quite an oddity to be seen growing and curing.

I don't remember the old 2 story harvester we had but I remember hearing
about it. It took 7 to run it ---1 driver, 4 primers and 2 stringers. Very
topheavy, too dangerous to use in our area. I do have some unpleasant
memories of running a Roanoke(?) Surefoot harvester. Extremely hot to
run--especially for the driver. Kohler engine with a John Deere lawnmower
hydrostatic transmission. When you went to get it after a rain you had to
push up on the canvasess to dump out the water. And boy could those
fiberglass seats itch!! Eventually we quit using it because you needed more
than 4 guys to pull a bulk barn without taking all day and wearing your
primers out from the heat.

Mechanical harvesters are now very popular and practically a necessity.
Evidently some of the bugs with the earliest machines have been worked out.

I tried not to faint when somebody mentioned going to the field with a
tractor that wasn't IH. Around here super A's -140 was the norm for 99% of
the farms.

And getting back on track somewhat about pulling stuff in tandem on the
farm---ever tried loading 2 hay wagons at once? We pulled into a small wheat
field to load bales of straw. We had too much help and were going to send
about 4 guys to that barn after the first couple of wagons were loaded. We
had 2 wagons hooked behind a 454 IH tractor. As we were loading and had
about 30-40 bales on each, we headed downhill and had to turn to the right.
My Uncle who was driving realized his mistake and yelled for us to hang on.
The guy on the front wagon jumped off. I stayed on mine but it was a wild
ride. No damage other than to our nerves. Considered adding an NHRA approved
parachute to the tractor but decied it was just simpler to use some common
sense.

Been in a couple of other tight situations where a wagon load of corn would
push the picker in a tight downhill turn. Same thing with a wagon behind the
baler---especially one about a third loaded with all the weight on the back.
Definetly envy you fellows with flat land!!!

John Hall