[Steam-engine] Oil Grooves

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Sat Sep 2 20:43:14 PDT 2006

Andy;
     It is unusual to find oil grooves in the bottom half of the bearing on
smaller engines, but not unheard
of. In larger stationary practice, ( journals 10" diam. x 15" wide and up ),
it is common to find them. The
purpose is to push oil to the center of the bearing, just the opposite of
the upper half grooves. The theory
is that oil is collected from the ends and and it is kept in the bearing
longer, better lubricating the center.
Naturally, the grooves are tailored to the engine rotation, which is one way
in most stationary engines.
     If you don't already have one, find a copy of "Steam Engine Principles
and Practice" by Terrell Croft.
Oil grooves are discussed in the chapter on "Engine Management", as well as
many other useful things.
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy