[AT] Air compressor

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sun Oct 29 20:58:17 PST 2006

This air compressor thread has been extra interesting to me because I
bought a new one a month or so ago. It has not been installed yet but sits
in the middle of the shop hooked up temporarily to the welder cord. My old
one was a Sears that I bought new over 30 years ago. It was 2 hp., 150
psi., 20 gal. tank, and put out 6.3 cu. ft. @90 psi. . I have always said I
would not replace it as long as it ran. About 6 weeks ago I was blowing
dirt off of a machine when I noticed the air supply getting low. It never
did keep up to the air nozzle competely but did do a respectable job. Upon
listening to it I noticed that it seemed to be only pumping on one
cylinder. I sprayed some WD-40 into the air intake thinking that if
something were gummed up it would clear it out. Wrong. I decided to live
with the reduced air output for a while. The next day I was using air and I
smelled something burning. I determined the smell was coming from the motor
but before I could do anything the overload popped. I went in for lunch and
let the motor cool. I reset the button and the compressor pumped up to 130
psi and the motor quit again. This time I noticed that I could not restart
it because there was backpressure on the compressor caused by a failed
check valve on the tank (had been replaced only a couple of years ago). Now
we had a bad compressor, a failed check valve, a machine over 30 years old,
and please no flames as I now see the error of my ways - a tank that over
the years I have welded holes in the bottom of it shut on no less than five
occasions. I decided it was time for a change.
          The compressor I bought is an Ingersoll-Rand 5 hp., 175 psi., 80
gal. tank, 15.8 cu. ft. @90 psi. , two stage compressor. I have been window
shopping for a couple of years. I noticed that all of the new single stage
units have a max. pressure of 135 psi. compared to 150 psi. on my old one.
Knowing what my old compressor could do I worried that 135 psi. might not
work for me. My cousin bought one of these and one of his men told me
pumping up a semi tire is a real problem as the start pressure of 115 psi.
is only a few lbs. higher than the tire. For about $200 more I was able to
buy the 2 stage unit ($900 out the door). It is only set up temporary but I
have done a few things, (harvest comes first), one being, as has been
mentioned, changing the drain. As shipped it had a radiator type drain
underneath that once you reached under you couldn't see, plus it took a
wrench to open it. It cost $20 but I put an elbow and some pipe plus a
quarter turn valve on the outside where it is easy to reach. I also put a
heavy duty regulator on it so I have a constant 140 lb. pressure. Because
of its size, I must put it on the other side of the work bay and not under
the bench where the old one was. I plan to run an air hose one size larger
than the standard size over to the work bench where the hose reel is
located. I also plan to take the regulator off the old compressor and mount
it on the bench so I can reduce the 140 lbs.to whatever I need to paint or
run an air wrench but at the same time have full pressure for tires, etc.
My shop is only 24 x24 so I think the hose will work fine. I plan to finish
installing it and wiring it right as soon as the fall work is done, but for
now it gets me by.
Greg Hass