[AT] funny..

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sun Oct 29 18:12:01 PST 2006

Heck John,

Don't feel bad about the unexploded ordinance.  Over in Wayne county, about
2/3 of the way from your place towards mine, there is an atomic bomb burried
in a field!  It fell off of a B52 near Seymour  Johnson AFB.   They know
about where it is but it is deep in the ground.  The government has a chain
link fence around the area where they think it is.  The only Internet
reference I could find quickly is copied below.  CBS 60 Minutes did a story
about it some time back.

"24 January 1961
A B-52 bomber suffered structural failure and disintegrated in mid-air 12
miles north of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro, NC, releasing
two hydrogen bombs. Five crewmen parachuted to safety, while three others
died when the aircraft exploded in mid-air. The bombs jettisoned as the
plane descended, one parachuting to earth intact, the other plunging deep
into waterlogged farmland. To this day, parts of the nuclear bomb remain
embedded deep in the muck. The area is off-limits, and is tested regularly
for radiation releases. More information can be found at the Broken Arrow:
Goldsboro, NC site at www.ibiblio.org/bomb"

Charlie