[AT] Air compressor

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sat Oct 28 21:44:19 PDT 2006

Someone mentioned putting your compressor outside because of noise. A good
idea; however sounds good for a warm climate. The instructions for my
compressor say not to run it below 40 degrees, and if you must, heat the
drain valve and the pressure switch. I live in Michigan and we get at least
5 months of below freezing temps.  My old shop was only heated when I used
it for several hours. Many times the compressor would freeze the switch
where ever I stopped it. I learned to shut off the breaker with the
compressor running or it would freeze in the stopped position and would not
start if I needed air. The down side was that if I didn't watch it the
pressure would build up and the frozen switch wouldn't stop it and the
relief valve would pop. Buy the way, this was my old compressor. I have a
friend who has two compressors hooked together in the unheated part of his
shop and he seems to get away with it, although I don't know how often he
uses them in the winter. He put them there, as was said, for noise
considerations. My brother has a 3 hp. oilless compressor in his shop and
when it starts you may as well have a 747 fly through. It supplies a lot of
air, but the noise level is out of this world.  My new shop, well 10 years
old now, I have the thermostat set at 42 degrees and only raise it  if I am
going to be working for quite a while. I have my compressor in the shop.
Just a few random thoughts.
Greg Hass