[AT] funny..sorry long

Bill "Bear" Hood mmman at netscape.com
Sat Oct 28 18:39:24 PDT 2006

Farmer and Larry
I am not into genealogy, but I really feel these old cemeteries
need to be preserved and vandalism kept curtailed. I like to walk
around, read the headstones and get a feeling for the stories buried with these ancestors.

When my son was 15 and working on his Eagle Scout, his project was to
restore a remote West Texas cemetery. This was the Oak Creek Community
graveyard in western Nolan County. It had 72 graves dating from 1879 to the 1950s. The fences were in poor repair--barbed wire on 2 sides--and livestock were often seen grazing there. It was a beautiful location on the east side of the creek and gently sloping to the west with live oak motts scattered.  All of the fence lines were growing up in mesquite and prickly pear.

Brad's project was to fill in the sunken graves, reset fallen stones, and
rebuild the fences. Only a few family sites were being cared for by
living families. He called a meeting of all interested descendants and the
widow of a local large ranch family, whose parents and grandparents
were interred there, offered to underwrite the cost of fencing. I
hauled over 29 yards of fill dirt and furnished a skid loader to start
the leveling. Scouts and volunteer adults were organized over 5 Saturday work days.

During the first work day, another local rancher with no ties to the cemetery.
offered to bring his dozer and push out the brushy fence rows. The iron
fence in front was removed in order to facilitate machine work with
damaging the fence. We brought out our compressor and potandsand blasted the fence on another day and primed and painted it with Boy Scouts.

The end results was a level, clean, manicured grounds with a new fence and
new gate sign courtesy of another family. The community gathered on the
3rd of July, 1984 and re-dedicated the grounds, formed an association, and
started raising funds to establish a maintenance fund.Sometimes we humans need to be prodded into activity.

I was proud of my son and the other Scouts in my Troop--and I think that
my son is still proud of what he organized and accomplished. I went
back by there a few years ago and it is still clean, manicured for dry
West Texas, and no brush has grown up in the fence yet. There is a lot
of history in these little plots and they can be lost to neglect in a
short period of time. May our lives never be lived so fast, that we
cannot give some time to those who came before us.
Bear

Sorry this is so long, but the thread made me want to tell this story.

Live every day of your life like a three year old.  Get down in the dirt with it, roll in it and smile a lot.  Bear