[AT] Air compressor

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sat Oct 28 13:59:32 PDT 2006

             |====|
             |           |
=====|==|    |
|                   |    |
%                 |    |=%=} -- outlet
drain            |    |
                    |    %
                    |    drain

                    }=%= compressor   (Ideally outside)

                  drain

% is a valve.

Clear as mud I support, but it was fun to try anyway...   The important part
is that the horizontal lines have the Ts pointing up, and then two elbows
used to turn the direction down.   Then the outlets are on a T.   Make sure
everything is sloped so that water will drain, and that you have good valves
at all the low points so you can drain water.

Some people prefer to slope the horizontal run to the compressor, they don't
need the drain at the other end.   Your call, I don't think it matters.

Make sure you have a valve at the compressors so you can disconnect it.  For
repairs if nothing else.   I would use a short length of (high quality!)
flexable hose for the compressor-pipe junction.  Black pipe is pretty
forgiving of vibration, but no sense in spreading noise through the pipes.
The valve on the outlets is optional, but can come in handy.   Depends on
your budget.

Putting the compressor outside is rarely feasible, but I feel the less noise
the better.

I addition to the retracting hoses hanging in the middle of the shop, you may
find it handy to have one of the coiled hoses (mostly yellow) hanging above
the workbench.    Properly done you won't hit your head (or otherwise be in
the way), yet it is always within reach when you need air.  Just be careful
that you can't injure yourself if the tool connected activates.    Mostly you
will leave a blow gun attached.

Remember, the more pipe, and the bigger the pipe, the better.