[AT] funny..

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 28 03:32:52 PDT 2006

Don't know if you guys are trying to be morbid  with all this cemetery talk
or just trying to get in the season with Halloween next week, but I'll go
with the flow. How common was/is it in your neck of the woods to have
cemeteries on the farm? We used to have 2 farms leased that had cemeteries
on them. One had a large cemetery on it while there were two smaller
cemeterys on the other.

 The large cemetry was smack in the middle of a 50 acre field (BIG field for
my area). It had a stone wall around it. If I remember correctly it had
filled up on the inside and they had started to bury folks on the outside of
the wall. Never got off the tractor to check any dates though. We farmed
practically within a few feet of the cemetery. It was overgrown with trees
although none of them were huge.

The other farm actually had 3 gravesites come to think about it. One was in
a field, one was in the woods (tombstones dating to the 50's at this site)
and another gravesite was discovered when that farm began growing its
present crop (houses). Guy was clearing a lot in the woods and saw something
that looked like bone. Got off and checked and he noticed a row of mounds.
Long story short they had to hire someone to come in and  move that
gravesite. Speculation was that is may have been an old slave cemetery.
Couldn't find any markers except one piece of stone that looked like it had
a date chiseled in it but it wasn't very legible.

John