[AT] plowing

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Oct 23 20:52:10 PDT 2006

Jim:

I assume you have identified the plow as being an 810 from the pictures I
referenced.

When you set the right wheel out 4" more did you set the left wheel out
equally. If not the tractor will try to crab when pulling hard. Where are
you now against the 25" nominal center from the tractor centerline to the
inside of the right tire(Furrow edge)?  The plow has an adjustment lever
(landing lever) to position the plow behind the tractor properly under load
but has a limited range. I suggest not making judgments about where the plow
trails until it has been in the ground some distance under load. The three
point hitch lift link adjustments, the landing lever adjustments, top link
length adjustments (draft and depth control) and the soil conditions will
all interact a bit. But you will know when you have found the magic formula.
For one, the front end of the tractor will quit trying to drift. Adequate
weight, especially on the land (left) tractor wheel is very important. Too
much traction loss on that wheel the tractor will pull left nominally. The
furrow wheel typically gets good traction. If the three point hitch is set
up right the left wheel shouldn't spin more than the right. If you are
working in loose soil or disked soil it might slip occasionally.

I have found the nominal settings suggested in the 810 manual for the three
point hitch to be the place to start or you may chase some incorrect
adjustments for awhile. They all interact a bit.

The 630 three point hitch adjustment (lift links) will make a big difference
too. The three point adjustment procedure is in the Tractor and Plow
operating manuals.

With the sizes tires you have on the 630 tractor, you will always be
crowding the furrow width but that doesn't hurt anything. Putting a 16"
share on the front bottom won't help with that problem at all. The only way
a 16" share will help if the plow is drifting to the left too much but then
something else is wrong. The rear share/moldboard is what is defining the
width of the furrow. Plowing a little faster will cause the dirt to fly a
bit more and there might be a noticeable improvement in furrow width.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

www.deerelegacy.com