[AT] 4020's coming back?

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Oct 23 10:28:27 PDT 2006

Speaking of 4020's, I have often wondered how this new tractors 60 hp. or
so would hold up if used like we used the old ones. Our most used tractor
was an IH Super C tractor. In the spring I would harrow with it day after
day, plus once the field was worked my dad would plant with it ( early on
it also did the plowing but by the time I can remember we had a IH 350
utility that plowed). Once crops were in the Super C would start
cultivating at 8 a.m. until 10 when we took the ciltivator off and put the
mower on and cut hay until noon then put the cultivator back on until 2
p.m. at which time we put it on the blower (belt drive) to blow chopped hay
into the barn. Now that I'm much older, I'm getting tired just thinking
about all the switching of machinery which we did day after day for much of
the summer. During the summer this same tractor pulled an IH number 64
combine with Cub engine to harvest the grain. In the fall we used it to run
a 1 row corn picker, in fact one fall, and I still don't know how we did
it; we picked 110 acres with this tractor. In the winter this was the
tractor put on the manure spreader (the 350 had the loader on it). Also
because it was the only tractor with a belt pulley it ran the hammermill,
grinding 120 bags of cob corn a week. During all this time it was only
overhauled once.
We had this tractor for about 30 years before trading it. How I wish we had
kept it but at the time we couldn't afford to. It didn't have an hour meter
but I have often wondered how many hours were on it; I'm thinking it had to
be around 15,000 but thats only a guess.
        A few months ago, my brother bought a brand new Case-IH tractor and
loader with front wheel assist. It's around 60 pto hp.; is a 3 cylinder,
turbocharged engine. Just looking at it and driving it I've got to wonder
how it would hold up if used like our Super C. He looked at a different
model which had a little more hp. and was actually a little cheaper; his
cost 43,000; but the dealer told him not to buy it as it was only meant to
be used less than 100 hrs. per year. During the summer he plowed 15 acres
with a 3-16" plow, and while it worked ok he said it sure wasn't a fuel
efficient tractor as he used just over 2 tanks of fuel. Before this, he had
a JD 5200 with about 40 hp.. One time the dealer sent out a guy to replace
a couple of parts as part of a recall. As he was working, he told my
brother; " this tractor is no 3020". I took that to mean that it would
never hold up to hard work. My brother never put any of these tractors to
heavy work (he has a 1066 IH for that, set at 150 hp.)
       My point is , I guess, is would these new compact tractors or
whatever they call them, hold up to the kind of work we used to do with our
old tractors?
Greg Hass
Michigan