[AT] compact tractor article

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Oct 22 03:38:04 PDT 2006

When I was the salesman at a local New Holland dealer, most of my sales
of compact tractors fell into two categories: The bigger ones went to
landscapers who were doing final site preparation and landscaping on new
homes/condos/townhouses (of which there were a LOT back then). The small
to medium size models were mostly bought by owners of "farmettes" - 2-5
acre places with one or two horses and a half million dollar house. I
only recall selling one compact tractor to a customer with a working farm.

My boss, whose dad started the business selling Fordsons in the '20s,
couldn't seem to grasp that he wasn't dealing with old time farmers and
was more than happy to let me to the negotiations on compacts. He was
used to jawboning over the deal, with offers and counter offers,
discussion of the weather and the price of crops, the farmer making 3 or
4 visits before coming to a decision, and then starting work on the
credit, possible trade in, etc. The buyers of compacts, would come in,
spend about 10 minutes with the machine, ask for a price, and either
write out a check or walk away. It is a very different world.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Dissent is what rescues democracy from a quiet death behind
closed doors.
-Lewis H. Lapham, editor (1935- )