[AT] Soldering battery cable

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Oct 21 17:26:50 PDT 2006

I'm trying to make a new main battery cable for the M.  Got some 2/0 copper
cable and some heavy-duty lugs, which are tinned with something so they look
kind of silvery rather than copper.  Can I solder these together?

I've got one end dry-fitted together, no flux, and tried to carefully heat
it with a propane torch until it'd melt some standard rosin-core electrical
solder.  Doesn't seem like the solder wants to flow, even into the copper
strands, just beads up, so I'm afraid I'm making it too hot or I don't have
the right materials or something.  Figured I'd better ask for advice before
I screw this up.  Any help?  Should I use flux?  Take it to an electric
shop?

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net