[AT] Massey Harris

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Oct 20 22:05:42 PDT 2006

Francis Robinson wrote:
> 	We had a neighbor over on the next road west back when I was a kid that had
> 3 new Massey Harris tractors along about 1952 or 1953. They seemed large
> back then but I suspect two were two bottom tractors and the other a three.
> I can't remember any other Massey's in the community at all. I don't recall
> there ever being a dealer here in this county and I have no idea where he
> bought them. We used Ford, Ferguson and a Deere MC at that time. A neighbor
> behind us had Case and Allis. The guy across the road had Allis, Ford and
> Oliver. A pair of brothers across one fence had two new Deere B's. Another
> neighbor that used to bale straw for us had all Minnie. There were a herd of
> small Minnie dealers here but they were not exactly common in the fields.
> Farms here were mostly 40 to 150 acres at that time and a Farmall M or Deere
> A was a big tractor here then. Lots of old B Deere's and old F series
> Farmall's.
> 	I do recall Massey's being at the county fair then but I have no idea where
> the dealer was located.

The venerable 44 Massey was a very popular tractor up here in the
fifties and sixties. Massey Harris dealers could be found in most small
towns as could most of the other equipment lines. Good times for
implement dealers in those days.
My brother still has his 444 Massey. Keeps his driveway open in the
winter with it. No cab on it but you keep plenty warm just turning that
manual steering wheel.

Ralph in Sask.