[AT] 4020's coming back?

Dave Ernst shop at cccomm.net
Fri Oct 20 07:45:33 PDT 2006

Speaking of such, I'm in the middle of rebuilding an old 4020 of mine. It
was purchased new in the family in 1966. This is the first time it has had
any major work and still running when it came into the shop. The head
received new exhaust valves and one guide, done by the local machine shop.
No. 2 piston is scored slightly, otherwise all cylinders were suprisingly
dry. New piston and liner kit ordered as well as a new front axle assembly.
This tractor worked for years loading hay and silage and has had a terrible
amount of hard work bordering on abuse. We actually have broken the axle in
half more than once. 0 degree cold starts on winter mornings with engine
loaded with so much either you'd think the head was going to blow off.....
What is really suprising is the power shift transmission is still in good
condition and will remain untouched. This tractor has 14,162 hours on it.
This tractor is a pretty good testament as to how well they were built.  It
looks pretty forlorn sitting there broken in half with the engine out
sitting upside down on a bench. I'll post some pictures if someone wants.

BTW I must have missed out on the diatribe as Outlook Express' block sender
list really works.......

Dave in Nevada