[AT] Sloppy steering on Farmall Super A

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Tue Oct 17 18:43:57 PDT 2006

Howard,

You've got a couple of good suggestions already but I will add the following
for FWIW.

Very often on E-bay, if you do a search on "Farmall A', you will find an
overhaul kit for a Farmall A steering gear box up for auction (I just
checked E-bay and I didn't see this kit currently listed).  The fellow
offering these kits claims it will solve the loose/wobble steering problems.
As I remember the kit includes the following parts (IH part numbers):
gasket (47 675 D), bushing (47 676 DR) and bearing (ST 288).  I don't know
if these parts are available through your' local IH dealer or not.

If it's just looseness/play in the steering wheel, however, you might try
checking the tie rod ends for play.  Sometime this past spring I tightened
the tie rod ends on one of my SA's, which also had about a half of turn of
free steering wheel play, and it tightened the wheel right up although in
4th gear I still have a bit of shimmy in the front wheels which transmits up
the shaft to the steering wheel.  It has bald car tires on front so I am
hoping that a "new" set of tires will help that.

Dudley Rupert