[AT] Case LA LPG on Ebay

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sun Oct 15 12:54:42 PDT 2006

Walt,

I am not a Case man but that does seem like lot of good quality old metal
for that price ...but maybe by the time the bidding gets underway the price
will come up considerably.

Incidentally, Case was the featured tractor at our local show this past
August and there were a couple of LA's there along with a couple of L's
(which I assume were predecessors to the LA).  I was amazed at the size of
those engines, particularly the height from the bottom of the pan to the top
of the valve cover.  When I got home after the show I looked up what I could
find on the LA engine and learned it had a 7" stroke along with a 5 and 5/8"
bore - Yikes, no wonder the engines were so tall!

The Farm Tractor Data Book says the LA was produced from 1940 to 1952 and
that the gasoline & LP versions had ~58 HP on the belt.  When I read this it
got me to thinking, "what was the biggest wheel farm tractor, HP wise, that
was produced during the war."  In searching through the Data Book I didn't
see anything bigger than the LA.  In 1946 Massey Harris came out with the
55, which had numbers equaling those of the LA.  Until perusing the Data
Book I had thought that International had as big a wheel tractor as anybody
back then but their W9/WD9's 5.5" by 6.5" engine had 10 less HP than the LA.
If I am wrong here I hope someone will respond and set me straight.

Dudley