[AT] IHC questions

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Oct 13 03:41:47 PDT 2006

I am not an engineer, but I have a feeling that just sticking any old
spring that happens to fit might cause problems. The design of the
centrifugal timing advance in a distributor is done very carefully by
the manufacturer, and incorrect springs are almost sure to change the
curve and screw up the timing as the engine speed increases. I could be
wrong, but this is one case where spending a little more on getting the
correct part could save you a lot of grief down the road.

It would not be a bad idea to try to figure out why the original spring
was damaged - it may be that something else in the distributer is not
right (like maybe someone used too long a screw to attach the points or
condenser; they should so short that they don't poke through the
mounting plate by more than one thread).

Mike

Jerry Rhodes wrote:
> Lew, up here I've found that Ace hwd has able any spring you may need
>
> Jerry NW Ohio
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lew Best" <bee_keeper at earthlink.net>

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he
thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into
an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900)