[Farmall] restoration questions

Mike Schmudlach mschmudlach at charter.net
Thu Oct 5 13:57:28 PDT 2006

Use a high build primer.  Many are 50-50 with Laquer thinner.  Dries fast.
Spray on.....wait a bit...block sand....spray more on....block sand...until
you fill all of the pits.
Another route is to use Epoxy primer.  You can body fill over epoxy primer.

Always ask the guys at the Automotive paint store what they recommend.....Do
not mix products!!

IH paint is not expensive and you can use a hardener with it but your
results won't be a great if you use $100 a gallon paint.  If this is your
first project I would use IH paint or the equiv.
Just because you have expensive paint doesn't mean you will have a great
paint job.  To put on an automotive finish takes good equipment, filters and
skill.
And remember all of this stuff is toxic.  LOL   There is a reason most
autobody painters are the way they are.  :-)
The first tractor I ever restored still wears that paint job (and dents) and
it is not a thing of beauty but it looks better then what I started with.
Have fun and remember "it is a tractor" and just about anything you do will
be as good as it came out of the factory.
Mike