[Farmall] restoration questions

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 15:19:39 PDT 2006

BG-
  One more thing for whatever it is worth....
  I collect old guitars (e.g., Martins with a focus upon the "S" body styles and Gibson arch tops such L-5 and Super 400's).
  On occasion, one will find one of these things in perfect, factory  fresh condition.  Usually, there is a story about a young person  who owned it going off to Viet Nam and never having come home after  stuffing under his bed.  More frequently, these old soldiers have  a good amount of (shall I say) road wear.  The watchword in  collecting and coveting this "old wood" is NEVER and, I repeat, NEVER  attempting a "day one" restoration.
 There is a corollary,  here.  Musical instruments are to be PLAYED and old iron is meant  to WORK.  A fine D-28-S can sound remarkable and "do its job"  without regard to being as shiny as a hearse.  An old Super M or  an "H" (etc., etc., etc.) can be as robust and productive in its  "workin' outfit" as it is as if it were parading down the fashion show  runway.
  I have rambled and, just maybe, you see my point.  It is IMHO I assure you.
  JM

Bobby Guilbeau <bguilbea at bellsouth.net> wrote:  I know I will get differing opinions on what to do but here goes anyway.

I am undertaking my first restoration project.

Thus for I have decided to sand/garnet blast as many parts as possible
during disassembly and repaint before assembly

All of the sheet metal on the old bird (1943 AV) is pitted

After blasting do I need to prime then fill or fill then prime?

I am planning on using DuPont 615 S VariPrime as my primer on the sheet
metal parts

While lurking for the past couple of years I have come to the understanding
that I would be better off top coating with an automotive paint that uses a
hardener versus the IH paint available from the dealer.  Is this so?

Bobby Guilbeau, Ranger

Evangeline Area Council - BSA

St. Landry, LA