[AT] Status Quo Maintenance?

william.neff.powell at comcast.net william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 03:52:43 PDT 2006

Hello All...

As many of you have found the tractor bug can hit you and before you know it you have multiple tractors... I have mostly Allis, WD, WC, C, D17, HD6G, G. I find myself getting overwhelmed by the maintenance required to keep my stable of tractors at status Quo...

It seems like everytime I turn around I am replacing a battery. Or, a tractor needs an oil change. I am also concerned about anti freeze aging and corroding the expensive recored radiators... Oil changes, just when its dirty now...? Or, if I havn't started one for a while the fuel has gelled. What about water condensing in the castings or the tanks...

I was wondering if some of you that have multiple tractors could share your procedures (if you have any)  that keep your tractors fresh with little effort. For instance, my neighbor is an X merchant marine, he feels that every engine should be started at least once a month as he did on his ships. Should I just add staybill to every tank of gas I fill up as a precaution, and how long will it last? Is there a staybill for antifreeze?

Maybe I just need to reduce my tractor count, though I would rather just do what it takes to preserve them. I wonder how antique automible collectors do it?

Regards,

Will Powell