[Ford-ferguson] 641 charge system

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 2 11:44:46 PDT 2006

You may be lucky and the charge system only needs to be repolerized.

First.. I'll assume that this is a gas job, and is still 6v positive ground.

Try repolerizing the OEM B-Circuit Genny and regulator.  Easiest way to do
this is to take a jumper wire and jumper battery to field.  You can do this
right from the battery terminal to the field tab on the genny.. electrically
it will be the same as if you jumped it at the regulator.

This should produce a mild spark/arc.  Now, start her up and see if the red
lamp doesn't go off  around 600 rpm or so.  If not, jumper once again (full
field ) and see if the lamp goes off.  If the lamp goes off only while bat
is jumpered to field, and then comes back on when you remove jumper,
throttle up to 1000-1200 rpm and check again.  If this keeps the lmap off,
genny is worn.. likely needs brushes and mica trim.  If the rpm doesn't
change anything, then likely the field control int he regulator is shot.
New 6v b-circuit regs can be had between 25-40$

Soundguy