[AT] Naming contest

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Nov 29 23:05:17 PST 2006

Steve W. wrote:
> Very true. Some of the tractors I have owned/used have had names that
> cannot be said in polite company....  ;-)

Several tractors I recall having names on this farm were when we had 4
Cockshutts in service or close to it. There was the old original 40
{"Rattler" that had a characteristic and never ending rattle from the
timing gears. Another was old "Hummer" named after the previous owner.
The third 40 which according to what we were told had at one time in a
previous life worked at a coal mine, we simply called "the coal miner".
The Cockshutt 50 was simply "the 50" since it was the only one.
Nowadays the 50 mostly rests in the shed. The "Rattler" sees frequent
use but it no longer rattles having had an engine transplant from the
Coal Miner. Hummer has been disassembled and become a parts donor.
The story behind the names. Any others out there?

Ralph in Sask.