[AT] pto shaft problem

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Nov 28 22:43:48 PST 2006

Lew Best wrote:
> Thanks guys
>
> I appreciate all the recommendations.  A few more details; there doesn't
> appear to be a roll pin or anything holding it to the tiller.  My best
> guess is that you hafta disassemble the slip clutch & then it has a nut
> or something inside holding the shaft to the tiller?
>
> It has a plastic guard I was hoping to not hafta destroy but see no
> other way to get to the shaft itself; it's one of those newer, "kinda
> egg shaped" telescoping shafts; not just a square tube & bar like the
> "good old ones."

Lew, this sounds like the shaft on  my Farm King six foot rotary mower.
Kind of a triangular shaped shaft that telescopes inside itself. I found
that mine twisted when I put way too big of a tractor on front and cut
down some trees that were really beyond the sensible limits of the
mower. The shaft then stuck together so tight that when it tried to
un-telescope itself the release button that holds it to the tractor
shaft actually let go and the shaft pulled off while it was turning
resulting in a bit of excitement before it lost its momentum.
Unfortunately I can't recall just how I got it apart to repair but I did
end up having to cut a few inches off the outer part of the triangular
telescoping shaft. After that it was fine.
Name of the shaft as I recall was Bondoli & Pavesi.

Ralph in Sask.