[AT] Old IH hammer mill

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 3 18:32:12 PST 2006

Larry D. Goss wrote:
> That mill looks almost identical to the David Bradley mill we had on the
> farm, Ralph.  Ours was pre WWII.  It had the fiber pulley.  The top half
> of the mill was hinged so you could replace the screens with different
> sizes for grinding.  We made use of the smallest (1/4") and largest
> (3/4") screens the most. The small one was good for corn and other feed
> grains for the cows and chickens.  The large size was for grinding corn
> cobs to make bedding.

Hi Larry
Thanks for the reply. Thought maybe my question had caused the list to
crash as yours is the only message I have seen all day.
I never knew David Bradley made a hammer mill. Most of the major machine
companies made them up here and they were all much the same design. This
IH is only a ten inch compared to the 14 inch Case I have been using
forever. Same general design as yours, flip up hood to change screens.
Funny thing about those screen hole diameters, we always used the small
hole screen (maybe half inch) for oats chop and then changed to the big
(about two inch) hole screen for straw and hay. The small hole screen
wore so thin that I quit using it and just left the large hole screen in
for grain. Surprisingly it still makes chop just as good as the small
hole screen did, and probably at increased capacity.
The major difference this IH has from the Case is the style of hammer.
The Case had solid, four sided hammers arranged on "spokes", about six
rows if I recall right. The IH has swinging hammers, much like a combine
straw chopper.
I checked my machinery brochures from way back and Case was only
offering a p.t.o. hammer mill by 1961. Guess belt drives were becoming
obsolete by then. IH did not even show a hammer mill in their catalogue
by 1963.

Ralph in Sask.