[AT] Naming contest

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Nov 29 20:39:41 PST 2006

Irma wrote:
> <<<<<<<<<Somehow all this talk about calling names reminds me of a David
> Allen Coe
> song.
>
> Charlie>>>>>>>
> David Allen Coe. The Ride........Good song. Never heard much from him
> except The Ride.
> Irma

"You never even called me by my name"
"Take This Job And Shove It"
"Hank Williams Junior-Junior"
"Tennessee Whiskey"
"Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile"

57 albums of his own plus a LOT of songs he wrote for others. For the
most part, David Allen Coe was not able to expand beyond a small
following as a singer, and other artists found more success with his
songs. Tanya Tucker, Billie Jo Spears, George Jones, Tammy Wynette,
Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Kid Rock all recorded his songs. He was
so annoyed at Johnny Paycheck for acting as if he had written the song
"Take this job and shove it" that he wrote a second song "Take this job
and shove it too" which includes the pun, "paycheck you may be a thing
of the past".

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York