[AT] Pioneer Village. Minden, Ne

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Nov 29 07:15:43 PST 2006

Whoa!  Whoa!  You mean to tell me that you emptied the rooms on the first
floor before emptying the attic?  That could be downright dangerous.
There's a big article in this morning's paper about mine subsidence over in
Warrick county.  If you're not careful, you could have a "working model" of
it right there at Robinson Manor.

If the New Madrid fault lets go, I'll be sure to send you an email so you
can take precautionary measures before the shock gets to Shelbyville.  :-)

So tell us, how are you going to get rid of the effluent from the horses?
Are you going to spread it raw?  Or do you have a lagoon system in mind?
maybe bag it and sell it to your Yuppie neighbors?  On the way home from
traveling to eastern Ohio last weekend, I noticed there were a whole lot
more farmers and feedlots using liquid spreaders than I expected.  All of
them were apparently lowering the level of their lagoons while the weather
is still good.

On a serious note, do you (or anybody else) have the information on the size
of cloth needed for making the standard sizes of feed and flour sacks?  I
have a friend (fellow collector) in North Carolina who is putting together a
portable grist mill on a trailer along with a hit n' miss engine for
demonstration and show.  He wants cloth sacks for use with a steelyard scale
and will probably end up making them himself.  I thought there were some
printed feed sacks squirreled away in the farm house at Fort Wayne, but
can't seem to find them.  I haven't checked the Farmer's Almanac; it may
have the information.  But Googling "feed sack size" turns up mostly antique
shops that specialize in these items.  There is no way this guy is going to
use collectible feed sacks at $30 to $60 EACH for this project.

Larry