[AT] pto shaft problem

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Nov 28 22:59:56 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----

It has a plastic guard I was hoping to not hafta destroy but see no
other way to get to the shaft itself; it's one of those newer, "kinda
egg shaped" telescoping shafts; not just a square tube & bar like the
"good old ones."

Guess the next step is to go ahead & cut the plastic guard off so I can
get to where the 2 parts slide together & maybe I can get some oil
worked into them & that'll break them apart.  Of course no way to put
heat on them until the guard is cut off.

	If you throw enough heat on it the plastic guard will be off...   ;-)
	I had the shaft stick on my 6' King Cutter mower last spring. I already had
the mower mounted on the tractor so I decided to pull it out. I didn't have
a decent come-a-long at that time so I used a chain boom instead. I hooked
one end of a chain around the tractor axle hitch mount and the other through
the tractor end PTO yoke. I then started tightening the chain with the boom
and tapping on the shaft and spraying PB-Blaster in the crack. I was
watching the yokes pretty close so I wouldn't bend them but I had a lot of
pull going on. I had it really tight and finally it slid out. I pulled it
out and greased it well. It was just rust and it was not twisted at all. I
will be parking that mower in a day or two and I will try to remember to
pull the shaft apart and grease it again. The main thing is since it sits
out on a concrete pad I need to be careful to chain the PTO shaft up at the
proper angle to shed water out when it rains.

Good luck.

--
"farmer"

The brave may not live forever but the easily frightened may never live at
all.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net