[AT] pto shaft problem

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Tue Nov 28 16:56:07 PST 2006

Lew,

If you can remove the guard so as to gain access to the outer shaft you
might try putting some heat on it and putting some penetrating oil on the
outer end of the outer shaft.

Whether or not you can do the above, if the shaft is not compacted all the
way and you can gain the access to rap on the tractor end of the shaft with
say a couple of pound hammer you might try compressing the shaft more first.
When/if you feel any movement you could then switch and try pounding the
shaft back out.

This past summer I sold an old Woods brush hog that probably hadn't been
used in 12 to 15 years and its' sliding PTO shaft was like frozen solid (I
have freezing on the brain as the emergency brakes on my pickup are
literally frozen in the on position and I am waiting for the big hearer I
have on them to thaw them out).  It had a round steel guard so I couldn't
remove it to try the first suggestion above so I used the hammer method.  I
had some room to compress the shaft and I don't think I could have freed it
up without first being able to pound the shaft in.  I pounded on the outer
(tractor end) U-joint to both compress and extend the shaft.  I didn't like
doing that but I couldn't think of anything else at the time.

Good luck - I am sure you will get some better suggestions -

Dudley