Fw: [Ford-ferguson] 1952 Ford Tractor 8N

Richard D Lotze rdlotze at juno.com
Mon Nov 27 15:15:23 PST 2006

There are two other common sources of leak down -
the upper gasket for the top casting which has the lift arms and cylinder

the lower gasket for the casting that houses the pump
either of these gaskets blow where the oil feeds up through a pipe in the
right front corner of the differential case
To find out where your leak is - take off the inspection cover on the
left side (also has the power take off lever) - put a load on the 3 point
such as a plow or blade and raise to top and shut off  tractor - with a
flash light look in the inspection hole towards top right corner and see
if oil is spilling out or see if oil is bubbling up from lower corner -
also if problem is from the cylinder you will see oil spilling from under
seat area
this should tell you where to take it apart
ah yes there is one other possible leak down spot - that is the pressure
relief valve if it has a piece of dirt stuck in it - if this is the
problem you should see oil bubbling in sort of the middle of the area
near the inspection hole
Hope this helps pin down where your leak down is

Dick
8N
541D
4000D