[AT] Firing on two instead of four

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sun Nov 26 22:36:47 PST 2006

In line with George's suggestion that you may have a couple of fouled plugs
I am curious as to what the gap is on the "fouled plugs"; that is, is it
less than what the engine/tractor spec calls for?

When we experience a plug that appears to have a good arc when we test it
outside the Head but then when we install it back in the Head and get no
firing it may well be, as George has suggested, a fouled plug that will not
fire when subject to the high pressure of the combustion chamber.

However, I believe there may also be times when we experience this same
scenario that we actually have a "good plug" but one with an inadequate
(i.e., too small) gap.  Remember, the less the plug gap the less is the
voltage that is required to arc the gap.  In this case the arc may look good
to the naked eye (when we test the plug out of the Head) but when the plug
is in the Head there may be insufficient energy in the arc to ignite the
fuel/air mixture.

Just a thought and it may not be applicable in this case.  But, as I say, I
am curious as to what the gap is -

Dudley